Standoff in Worcester After 2 Shot: Police Surround Colby Ave. Home
Crime UK

Standoff in Worcester After 2 Shot: Police Surround Colby Ave. Home

colby avenue

Worcester Police have found themselves in a tense standoff situation on Colby Avenue after a man allegedly shot two family members earlier this morning. Authorities swiftly responded to a distress call, arriving at the scene shortly after 8 a.m. The victims, an unidentified male and female, were expeditiously transported to a local hospital with injuries described as non-life-threatening.

Efforts to apprehend the 21-year-old suspect proved challenging as he managed to evade arrest. “While attempting to take him into custody, he discharged rounds at the officers, fortunately without causing harm. Subsequently, he retreated back into the house,” shared Worcester Police Lt. Sean Murtha during a news conference.

The suspect, who remains unidentified, is believed to be holed up inside the residence, which has been surrounded by law enforcement personnel. Negotiators and a mental health clinician have been called in to aid in the situation.

Murtha stressed the importance of establishing contact with the suspect, emphasizing, “Our priority is to establish communication. We have several potential phone numbers to reach out to. In situations like this, time is often on our side. We aim to slow things down and ensure a peaceful resolution.”

For precautionary measures, Trinity Avenue, which connects to Colby Avenue, has been closed off, and authorities have utilized a reverse 911 system to alert nearby residents. The public has been advised to steer clear of the area.

Law enforcement officers have been diligently attempting to make contact with the suspect for over two hours. Drones have been deployed to monitor the premises and prevent any potential escape attempts.

Murtha disclosed that the individual in question is not a familiar face to the police department, stating, “He is not someone we regularly encounter, nor is he well-known to us.”

Abdul Bilal, a resident of Trinity Avenue, recounted the scene he witnessed when the incident unfolded. “I’ve never seen anything like this in the two years I’ve lived here,” he expressed to WBZ-TV. “The presence of numerous police cars, fire trucks, ambulances—it’s quite unnerving.”

As the investigation progresses, no further details are currently available. Authorities remain committed to achieving a peaceful resolution to the ongoing standoff.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *